PHILADELPHIA – On Saturday, January 19, 2019, two rallies in support of the “Women’s March” movement will take place on portions of Benjamin Franklin Parkway, Love Park (JFK Plaza), Eakins Oval, and the east apron of the Philadelphia Museum of Art. There will be two stage locations, one of the east apron of the Philadelphia Museum of Art facing east, and one at Love Park (JFK Plaza) facing west. To ensure the safety of participants and the public, road closures and parking restrictions will be implemented.
Delays can be expected during the course of the event. Motorists are advised to avoid the area by using alternate routes and allow for extra driving time in areas near the event. Please refrain from double-parking, which creates congestion, limits traffic flow and is illegal.
Both events will commence at 11:00AM, and are scheduled to conclude no later than 3:00PM.
The following streets will be closed starting at 5:00AM until approximately 5:00PM on Saturday, January 19:
- Arch Street between 15th Street and 16th Street
- 16th Street between JFK Blvd. and Cherry Street
- Benjamin Franklin Parkway between 16th Street and 17th Street
- Benjamin Franklin Parkway between 22nd Street and Eakins Oval (all lanes)
- 23rd Street between Pennsylvania Avenue and Benjamin Franklin Parkway
- Spring Garden Street between Pennsylvania Avenue and Benjamin Franklin Parkway
- Kelly Drive (outbound) from Benjamin Franklin Parkway to Fairmount Avenue
- Kelly Drive (inbound) between 25th Street and Fairmount Avenue (local access maintained to Anne d’Harnoncourt Drive)
- Martin Luther King Drive between Eakins Oval and Montgomery Drive
- Spring Garden Street Bridge at 31st Street (Local access maintained to Anne d’Harnoncourt Drive)
Starting at 5:00AM on Saturday, January 19, inbound (eastbound) traffic on Kelly Drive must exit Kelly Drive at Fairmount Avenue due to the closure of the outer lanes on the Benjamin Franklin Parkway. Those wishing to access the west side of the Philadelphia Museum of Art may continue to 25th Street and turn right on Anne d’Harnoncourt Drive. Those wishing to access the Barnes Foundation should follow Fairmount Avenue to Pennsylvania Avenue and turn right, following Pennsylvania Avenue to 21st Street. Turn right at 21st Street and make the first left onto Callowhill Street to access the Barnes Foundation parking lot.
Streets will be serviced and reopened as attendees disperse. It is expected that a number of the affected streets listed above will be opened to vehicular traffic prior to 5:00PM.
Benjamin Franklin Parkway cross traffic will be permitted on the following numbered streets as conditions allow:
- 17th Street
- 18th Street
- 19th Street
- 20th Street
- 21st Street
- 22nd Street
Attendees are advised to use caution when crossing streets. Please follow traffic signals and obey instruction provided by the Philadelphia Police Department.
The Philadelphia Museum of Art and other Parkway institutions will remain open for business on Saturday, January 19, 2018. Visitors are encouraged to check individual websites for hours of operation.
The Franklin Institute will remain open for business on Saturday, January 19. The main entrance on 20th Street will be open, and guests driving into the area are encouraged to utilize the Franklin Institute’s parking garage. The parking garage can be accessed by traveling eastbound on Winter Street from either 22nd Street or the I-676 off-ramp. Vehicles will be directed to turn right at 21st and Winter Streets, and the garage entrance is on 21st Street on the left.
The following streets will be posted as “Temporary No Parking” zones from 5:00AM-5:00PM on Saturday, January 19:
- Benjamin Franklin Parkway from 16th Street to Eakins Oval (all lanes, both sides)
- 20th Street from Race Street to Benjamin Franklin Parkway (east side of the street)
- 22nd Street between Pennsylvania Avenue and Winter Street (both sides of the street)
- 2100-2200 Spring Garden Street (north side of the street)
- 1400-1500 JFK Blvd. (both sides of the street)
- Arch Street between 15th Street and 16th Street (both sides of the street)
- 16th Street between JFK Blvd. and Cherry Street (both sides of the street)
- 15th Street between Arch Street and JFK Blvd. (both sides of the street)
Please obey all “Temporary No Parking” signs. Vehicles parked in these locations during posted hours will be relocated.
SEPTA Bus Routes 2, 7, 27, 32, 38, 43 and 48 will be detoured from their normal routes through the Benjamin Franklin Parkway area beginning at 5:00AM on Saturday, January 19 through approximately 5:00PM. Detours will be posted and specific route changes are available on the System Status Page at www.septa.org.
Public Safety Information
Leave no bags or items unattended. In an emergency or to report a suspicious person, activity or item (a backpack, a package, a container), notify a police officer immediately or call 9-1-1. Do not try to open, move, cover or touch a suspicious item.
In addition, the public should expect congestion in the area. If you are attending the event, make a plan regarding driving, public transit, parking, and supervision of children. Be prepared to wait to enter and exit the area. We recommend that attendees wear comfortable, weather-appropriate attire.
For tips and general information about being prepared and ready at special events, read the Special Event Safety Guide before you attend.